- Prospective Students
- Current Students
- Parent FAQ
- Department Directory
- Co-op Student Society
- Student Career Centre
Finding a great work term starts with the job board
Our services will help you in your search to find and secure a job that will be the beginning of a rewarding and successful career. The Co-op staff are working hard to recruit positions for you!
Students are encouraged to check the job board daily! The earlier you start preparing, the better your chances of finding the job you want.
Aside from the approved positions posted through the office and the careers links on the students resource page, you can also target companies that you interest. The co-op office could help to make the connection.
Job Competition Process
The StFX Co-op Staff will review all co-op opportunities before posting to students. The Co-op Staff will review the job title, duties, qualifications, rate of pay, and hours per week. Once approved, the Co-op Office will advertise the position to co-op students. Each co-op advertisement will tell students how and when to apply. Late applications will not be accepted unless directed by the employer.
The StFX Co-op Program uses a continuous placement process as we post co-op positions as they arrive. Interviews take place in accordance to the employer’s schedule. However, the StFX Co-op Program does not have the employers rank students and does not have a set deadline of when co-op positions need to be posted.
Employers will contact the Co-op Office with the student(s) they are interested in hiring. The Co-op Staff in turns contacts the Co-op student of the offer. Students have 48 hours to accept or reject an employer’s offer. If the position is accepted, students cannot accept any other interviews for that specific work term. The Co-op Staff will notify an employer of the student’s acceptance or rejection
Job Search Process
Students at StFX do not participate in a ranking process or in hiring deadlines. Without ranking or deadlines for employers we believe this supports the nature of the competitive labour force process. In this regard, we feel our students are able to work to Co-op job application deadlines that fit around their academic schedule.
Students obtain Co-op roles through the recruited positions on the Co-op Job Board or through self-directed job search facilitated by Co-op staff when a student’s geographic location desired for work term does not match any positions available on the job board. Students are provided with job search strategy assistance from structured PDS and through on and off campus employer networking opportunities and career coaching.
Our process is not without limitations and revolves around basic understandings with all students in the program related to timeframes and expectations while in job search mode.
Recruitment Process Guidelines
- Students are expected to only apply for jobs that they are willing to accept in the 4 month recruitment cycle prior to work term start.
- Students are generally given a 24 hour period of notice, if they are selected for an interview.
- If successful in obtaining an offer after an interview, students have 48 hours to formally accept or reject the position.
- If students reject a position they must provide a clear and reasonable rational as to why they are not accepting the offer in writing to the Co-op Office staff at the same time they reject the offer.
- Students who fail to effectively communicate with staff within these time limits during the interview, offer and incubation period will automatically be removed from the competition process for that role.
- Students are expected to check StFX email at a minimum twice daily while in job search mode to help facilitate the process.
StFX strives to offer the best recruitment model for students and employers.
Disclaimer: The StFX Co-operative Education Program does not guarantee students work placements or employers successful applicants.