- StFX Bursaries
- FAQs about StFX Bursaries
- External Bursaries
- Student Loan Contact Information
- Student Loan Repayment
- Information for USA Students
- Can You Afford University?
- Useful Links
- Bursary Application
This listing is a resource that gives students direct access to bursaries available only through St. Francis Xavier University. The online application form is available by clicking the link on the left-hand menu.
The University has a modest bursary program which has been established in order to offer financial assistance to students in academic programs who find themselves in unanticipated financial difficulty and unable to meet their obligations. Awards are made to those who meet the qualifications established by the university, and, where applicable, by the individual donors. It is important to understand that applicants for St. FX bursaries are expected to have exhausted other financial resources, including student loans if available. Bursaries are not intended to assist students with costs that are unrelated to attending university or to avoid incuring student debt. Financial hardship caused by misuse of private funds will be considered the responsibility of the student.
- Students enrolled in degree or diploma programs in the September to April academic year, who are making satisfactory academic progress, are eligible to apply. For bursary purposes, full-time is defined as 18 or more credits unless stated otherwise in the bursary criteria.
- Bursary applications will not be accepted prior to the posted opening dates for applciations for each term: August 15, 2016 for the 2016 fall term and December 19, 2016 for the 2017 winter term.
- Bursaries fall into one of two categories: Limited or General. Limited bursaries are available to students who meet particular requirements as stipulated in the terms of the bursary. General bursaries only require that applicants be full-time students who are making satisfactory academic progress and in need of financial assistance. Please review the list of Limited bursaries to determine your eligibility for any of these before making an application for a General bursary.
- Please review the criteria of each Limited bursary before applying and only apply for bursaries you can reasonably expect to be considered for as an applicant. For example, if you are a Bachelor of Arts student from Cape Breton, please do not apply for a bursary that can only be awarded to a Bachelor of Science student from Toronto.
- Please be sure to indicate on your application how you qualify for a limited bursary. Are you from a particular region, related to a certain person, the member of a certain ethnic group, from a particular kind of family? Specify the criteria that you meet (or do not meet) in the 'Bursary Criteria' section of the application.
- Bursary awards will be applied directly to the recipient's student account. In some circumstances, the recipient may request that some or all of the award be issued to them via cheque to use towards external student costs. This requires the approval of the Financial Aid Officer and may not be granted in all cases.
- Please note you must reapply for all bursaries each year that you wish to be considered for. Renewable burasries also require an application each year, renewals are not automatic and the recipient must demonstate that they continue to meet the criteria in each year fo study for the renewal to be granted.
- You are not required to meet with the Financial Aid Officer to apply for bursaries.
- You may apply for any first term buraries beginning August 15. Second term bursary applicaitons will not be accepted before December 19 for the following term. This allows students to update their applications with any potential increase or decrease in funding. For example, if you receive a bursary in first term, you should add that to the budget section of your bursary applications for second term.
Note to Part-Time Students: Part-time Study Awards are available at Continuing & Distance Education www.stfx.ca/academic/continuinged Up to ten awards of $500 will be granted each year to part-time students registered in undergraduate courses. Deadline for application is November 15 & February 15 of each academic year.
Note to grade 12 students: Apply to the Limited Bursary Program after you have registered for your courses and the applciations have opened on August 15. We do not accept applications for Limited Bursaries while you are still in high school.
Please be advised that bursary amounts and criteria can change from year to year. The Financial Aid Office will not be held responsible for any inconvenience this may cause. When the website and the Financial Aid Office have discrepancies as to the amount of award, the Financial Aid Office will take precedence in the decision.
For more information about Limited Bursaries, click here.
For more information about General Bursaries, click here.