- Our People
- Health & Counselling Services
- Sexual Assault and Sexual Violence Support
- Accessible Learning
Avoiding those Nasty Colds
Judging by the traffic through the Health & Counselling Center in the last number of weeks, it is obvious that a lot of people have been ill with a variety of viral and bacterial illnesses. While bacterial illnesses can be treated with antibiotics, viral illnesses just have to run their course. Wouldn't it be nice to just avoid these illnesses altogether? While there is no magic pill to prevent infection, there are a few simple things that you can do to help ensure you remain healthy.
- Frequent hand washing – get rid of those germs that you pick up during the day. Use soap and water or hand sanitizers.
- Eat healthy – include lots of fruit and leafy greens in your daily diet.
- Drink plenty of fluids – about 2L a day (and not just coffee!)
- Get rest – at least 7 hours a night
- Get some exercise and some fresh air daily