Required Documentation

Students with disabilities who would like to put in place academic accommodations at StFX  must provide the Centre for Accessible Learning with relevant documentation prepared by a regulated health professional practitioner (e.g., a physician, psychiatrist, registered psychologist) as determined by the University. 

Accommodations recommended in documentation will be put in place on an individual basis after a student has met with the Coordinator for the Centre for Accessible Learning and explored the accommodation options that might be available.

The following list outlines the documentation necessary to access services from the Program for Students with Disabilities:

Learning Disability: psycho educational assessment /neuropsychological assessment/school psychologist/speech language pathologist

ADHD/ADD: diagnosis from a psychologist or physician

Mental Health: psychologist/psychiatrist/ medical professional

Hearing Impairment: audiologist assessment

Visual Impairment: medical professional

Mobility Impairment: physician/specialist

Medical Condition: physician

Aspergers’ Syndrome: psychologist/medical professional

Anxiety/Depression: referral from physician and/or registered psychologist/psychiatrist

The Documentation you provide should:

  • Be current, dated within the last  5 years for students with learning disabilities, within the last year for students with medical disabilities, and updated periodically, particularly for students with chronic medical conditions.
  • Clearly describe the disability or condition and include a diagnosis where possible.
  • Make available the results of individual testing batteries or a summary of results where possible, or permission to disclose those results.
  • List prescribed medications, possible side effects, and influence on academic performance.
  • Provide detailed recommendations for accommodations that will enhance learning. The practitioner making recommendations should indicate how recommendations are linked to a condition's manifestation.

Please ask us to point you to the unique Medical Assessment Form for your province; each province uses a unique form and you will find a form for your province on this page of LINKS to student aid websites