Working as an International Student

International students wishing to work while studying in Canada should visit the Government of Canada website for the most up to date information on eligibility to work. 

Working on- or off-campus

Students are allowed to work part-time during the academic year and full-time during the summer. To work on or off campus, studnets need: 

  • a valid study permit
  • to be a full time student studying for a degree
  • a social insurance number (SIN) 

Learn about applying for a SIN and off-campus work permits here:

Getting Government Identification 

To work off-campus, you will need Canadian government ID. You will also need Canadian government ID and your student ID to enter events or venues where alcohol is sold and served. This rule applies for all students, even if you are over the legal drinking age of 19 years.

International IDs will not be sufficient for proof of age. Therefore it is advised that all students obtain Nova Scotia government identification card.

You may purchase a Nova Scotia ID at Access Nova Scotia  located in Antigonish Mall location in the Sobey’s block.The cost is approximately $20 and you should allow about 45 minutes for processing.  

Please see for more information about how to qualify for and purchase a Nova Scotia driver’s license which also may serve as a government ID card.

Student Career Centre

The Student Career Services provides assistance to all StFX students in their career planning and job search. There are three primary services offered by the Centre: career coaching, career information and employment services.

Job Boards

Student Career Centre Job Listings and Info
Students’ Union Jobs
Jobs in Antigonish- Indeed Job Board